Resultados 1 a 3 de 3
    WHT-BR Top Member
    Data de Ingresso
    Dec 2010

[EN] How AWS has turned into Amazon’s crutch

Amazon would have lost $286 million in Q3 without AWS’s $861M operating income.

Brandon Butler
    Oct 31, 2016

When Amazon announced its earnings last week, Wall Street was disappointed, with the company’s stock tumbling 5%. But if Amazon didn’t have its cloud business, Wall Street may have been even more bearish.

By non-Wall Street standards, the online ecommerce giant had a nice quarter: Revenues of $32.7 billion were up 29% from the same quarter last year and the company turned a $575 million profit.

The revenues and earnings were less than consensus estimates and Amazon gave vague guidance on future performance heading into the always-busy holiday shopping season.

Meanwhile, Amazon Web Services – the cloud computing behemoth arm of the company - reported revenues of $3.2 billion with an $861 million profit. Revenues for AWS were up 55% year-over-year and profits have more than doubled. In the past year, AWS has earned $11.1 billion in revenue.

So imagine what Amazon’s overall figures would be like if it didn’t have AWS? Without AWS’s $861 operating income, Amazon could have lost $286 million. Reuters reported last week: “Long known for heavy spending and losses, Amazon has come to turn a profit consistently, partly thanks to selling computer storage and services in the cloud.”

Investment website Quartz added: “While Amazon is best known as the “Everything Store” of online retail, cloud-computing has become its financial life preserver.”

http://www.networkworld.com/article/...-s-crutch.html
    Última edição por 5ms; 31-10-2016 às 16:22.

WHT-BR Top Member
    Data de Ingresso
    Dec 2010
    A estorinha não está bem contada. No mercado financeiro circulam alegações que algumas despesas pesadas da AWS são descarregadas na Amazon, como pagamentos de bonus de contratação e desempenho, além de outras "mágicas" contábeis que melhoram a imagem da AWS mas não tem sustentação.
    Última edição por 5ms; 31-10-2016 às 16:46.

WHT-BR Top Member
    Data de Ingresso
    Dec 2010
    Trechos de um artigo sobre a AWS que aborda a disputa por profissionais de computação em Seattle:

Clare McGrane
    August 29, 2016

Van Voris: Engineering talent is still in such high demand. Not just in Seattle, in the Valley, in New York, in Austin. And great engineers can really find jobs in a lot of interesting places, and that’s what makes it so competitive for companies out there, from startups to the big companies. I had a friend of mine who when I ask him how business is going, he tells me, “Just look outside and count the number of cranes in the air, Kerry.” When I keep seeing all these cranes and growth, what’s fueling that growth, be it Amazon, Google, it’s pretty amazing.

JC: As director of talent at Madrona, you help startups find great talent, and I think that’s a different job right now than it was maybe five, ten years ago, especially as you mentioned those cranes in Seattle, a lot of them are building campuses for Amazon or Google or Facebook or these big tech titans that are really sucking the oxygen out of the room as it relates to the startup community. It must make your job incredibly difficult to try to place engineers who are in high demand —

TB: So it seems like there is just recruiting wars going on. John, you’ve probably heard stories.

JC: I actually met with a venture capitalist about two weeks ago and he was telling me this story about one of their portfolio companies and a star engineer they had hired there and then kept there for a number of years, who they loved, and one of these engineering centers came in and poached the guy. But the thing that just amazed me was the amount of money that was in exchange over one person. The person had already been making $150,000 annually, so a senior engineer, and was getting about a $50,000 annual bonus and was doing well. This company came in and matched the salary at $150,000, but then did a $180,000 signing bonus for the person, and then said there would be additional bonuses annually of another $150,000. And the VC just looked at me and said, “You can’t do anything about this. There’s no way to hang on to that type of person.”

TB: Wait, was the other company a big tech company versus a startup?

JC: Yes. As I understand it, yes, it was a big company, and as I understand, it was one of these engineering centers. It was a Dropbox or a Twitter, a Facebook or a Google, that has set up in Seattle in recent months and years.

JC: So what company, and I know you’re dealing mostly on startups, but what are the big companies in Seattle right now that you’re seeing that are the most aggressive about hiring? Is it Google, is it Facebook, is it Microsoft, Amazon? Who is just going after it in a big way?

Van Voris: I think they all are. The growth numbers at Amazon are obviously pushing them to be super, super aggressive, but you have Google that’s going to show up in South Lake Union very soon.

JC: Right next door to Amazon.

Van Voris: And that is not by accident, and Google will be very aggressive. Then you have Facebook that has a different lure to some people here. And Microsoft, as much as a lot of individuals think “Microsoft may have lost its luster,” they are still super aggressive, grabbing top talent, and compensating them very well.

http://www.geekwire.com/2016/will-am...leader-weighs/

Permissões de Postagem