Página 1 de 2 12 ÚltimoÚltimo
Resultados 1 a 10 de 15
    WHT-BR Top Member
    Data de Ingresso
    Dec 2010

[EN] IBM: Six-Story Data Center in a Norwegian Mine Comes Online

Lefdal Mine Datacenter will officially open on the 10th of May.

Together with our technology partners Rittal and IBM, we have developed a unique data center design. The cooperation has resulted in one of Europe’s most cost effective, secure, green and flexible data center facilities. The size of the facility and the modular design also introduces a leading edge scalable solution.

Norway has a strong value proposition, and the Norwegian Government has recognized the possibility of establishing Norway as a preferred DC location for International operators. At the ceremony, the Government will be represented by the Minister of Petroleum and Energy.

IBM and Rittal are two global companies with market-leading products in the datacenter industry. Lefdal Mine Datacenter, IBM and Rittal share the same vision for the future solutions for the DC industry. The shared competence and the aggregated benefits has led to a shift of paradigm – the industrialization of data centers.

Amongst the specially invited guests are Government representatives, industry leaders and Global IT companies contributing to the ecosystem as partners, customers and potential customers.

http://www.lefdalmine.com/2017/03/20...g-10th-of-may/

WHT-BR Top Member
    Data de Ingresso
    Dec 2010
    Karen Riccio
    May 10, 2017

An abandoned mine-turned data center in Norway will officially open on Wednesday, according to Lefdal, builder of what it claims is “the largest green data center in Europe.” Its first two tenants are IBM and the German industrial conglomerate Friedhelm LOH Group.

The Lefdal Mine Datacenter, built between the west Norwegian ports of Måløy and Nordfjordeid, offers 1.3 million square feet of space, much of it provided in containers designed, built, and shipped by Rittal. A fully customized container can be fitted out, shipped to the mine, hooked up, and brought online in six to eight weeks, Lefdal promises. There will also be three floors of traditional data center space, where more usual racks and cabinets can be installed.

Drawing all of its power from hydroelectric and wind power produced locally, the data center can go up to 200MW once fully populated—larger than each of Facebook’s two 120MW facilities in northern Sweden and Apple’s planned data center in Denmark, estimated to be between 100MW and 144MW.

Situated within a deep fjord—much like the neighboring Green Mountain facility at Stavanger—the servers will be cooled using seawater cooling systems. The saltwater brought from the depths of the fjord is 45 degrees and cools less corrosive fresh water. The fjord water remains pressurized and requires little energy to pump, eliminating the need for costly high-capacity equipment.

As a result, the facility will operate with a PUE between 1.08 and 1.1 for a 5 KW rack, according to LocalHost, designer of the unique cooling system.

Mats Andersson, CEO for the project, described the massive data center:

“It consists of six levels (with the potential to expand to 14), sprawling over some 1.3 million square feet of ‘white space’ that can be used for [data] storage, connected by a paved road that descends in a spiral through tunnels 45 feet wide and almost 30 feet high. Just one of those levels could host all the servers in Norway.”

Lefdal:

“The flexibility is unique. Not only will one be able to ‘plug and play’ capacity needs, but the large space and the logistics also allows different product solutions in a cost effective way.”

Lefdal says it has already signed two international companies as its first tenants: IBM and the German industrial conglomerate Friedhelm LOH Group.

Brian Farr, director of resiliency services for Europe at IBM Global Technology Services, wrote in a Forbes article:

“For any data center construction, there are two common limiting factors: physical real estate and power capacity. This is one location where those two limiting factors disappear. It is hard to describe the scale of this facility. On the third level alone, where we are starting the buildout, we can house what would be thousands of virtual data centers that can scale flexibly, providing the perfect location to deliver hybrid IT, private and public cloud services for enterprises across Europe.”

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/a...-comes-online/

WHT-BR Top Member
    Data de Ingresso
    Dec 2010

Facility

The Lefdal Mine is located in the region Sogn og Fjordane between Måløy and Nordfjordeid. It is situated next to a deep, cold fjord with a stable and ample supply of price leading CO2-neutral energy (hydroelectric). It has excellent links to the local road network, shipping port, communication and fiber networks, two local airports and a helipad on site. The town of Måløy is considered as one of the most important ports in the coastal region of Sogn og Fjordane and is able to support the technical skills and maintenance requirements for such a remote and secure data center.

The mine today consists of six levels divided into 75 chambers with a potential white space area of 120.000 m2.

The entry point leads to a 1300 meters long access road – “Spiral” – which is 14 meters wide and 8.5 meters high. The Spiral gives access to each floor level which has a central access road – “The Avenue”. The Avenue provides direct access to vacant chambers on each floor level, these chambers are the ‘Streets’ and vary in depth (average 100 meters).

With a vast usable floor space, one of the most important factors when designing the facility was the modular and scalability approach.

Containers

The width of the streets allows placement of containers on both side of the street with a transportation route in the middle. The height of the streets is 17 m and the containers are stacked in 3 heights. Using container-based solutions provides a rational production remotely, quick installation in the facility and the equipment can easily be replaced or moved. The solution includes racks for the containers and access through stairs were applicable.

Data halls

If the customer prefers a traditional data hall one have several options on how to design the hall. LMD has together with IBM and Rittal developed a solution based on three stories concrete buildings with three floors of whitespace. These building are constructed inside the mine and have a low construction cost. Each building will have 2-2.500 m2 of net whitespace. Customers can lease from one Base unit (Cage) to an entire building.

Shelters – Security room

The customer can also choose shelters/security rooms as housing. LMD has together with Rittal developed a special designed shelter solution for perfect fit in the streets. The shelter solution is modular, has quick delivery and can be built in two floors.

Single Location – Dual site

One can use the facility as single location – dual site, either using different streets or different levels in the mine for the two data centers.

http://www.lefdalmine.com/facility-2/

WHT-BR Top Member
    Data de Ingresso
    Dec 2010

Power

Norway has a unique power proposition. Large surplus production of green, low cost power. Norway is ranked number 1 in the world on secure, accessible and diversified energy supply.

Low power costs

The last 20 years Norway has been one of the price leading markets in Europe. Increasing production ensures low prices also for the future. In addition, the Norwegian government in 2016 reduced the consumption fee with 0,125 NOK/kWh.

Unlimited access

The national grid, connected to several hydro-power plants in the vicinity of Lefdal Mine Datacenter, provides the facility with sufficient power for any foreseeable future.

The grid loss is at an absolute minimum. The current power supply has a statistical reliability of 99.97% (last 10 years), which is consistent with Tier-III requirements. The total power production in the area is presently 12.7 TWh (100 % renewable). The planned capacity for the data center will be ramped up in steps as the project develops.

Green Power

98.5 % of total power production is Hydroelectricity. Norway produces nearly twice as much renewable energy as any other Nordic country.

Technical specifications

• One hydroelectric power source – A second independent feed is planned in 2018
    • N+1 generators
    • A+B UPS power, each UPS being 1600kVA with internal N+1 redundancy. The setup delivers 2N +1 power redundancy to each rack
    • Bus bars from each UPS-cluster with tap off boxes to two PDUs in each IT rack (2N redundancy)

We can offer different power densities ranging from 2-50 kW per rack.

http://www.lefdalmine.com/power/

WHT-BR Top Member
    Data de Ingresso
    Dec 2010

WHT-BR Top Member
    Data de Ingresso
    Dec 2010

WHT-BR Top Member
    Data de Ingresso
    Dec 2010

150 meters underground

Laurence Guihard-Joly
    May 10, 2017

From a physical standpoint, the high-density rock provides natural protection from electromagnetic disruptions, and the single point of entry is concealed in the mountain and secured by a series of steel doors. Because of its architecture, the Lefdal data center is impervious to electromagnetic pulses caused by lightning strikes, electronic sabotage and other disruptions.

As the technology partner for Lefdal Mine Data Center, IBM developed the technical design and provided an independent quality assurance for the entire blueprint. IBM also built resiliency into the technical development of this Tier III data center from the start. Server and power modules customized specifically for the Lefdal Mine facility will be made available to clients to plug in or remove as needed to account for changing volumes of data capacity. In addition, if a company wants to install its own equipment first, modules can be shipped to any location outside Lefdal to make that happen before they enter the mine.

http://itbizadvisor.com/2017/05/lefd...s-underground/

“The Lefdal Mine facility will provide a unique opportunity for clients looking to enhance levels of resiliency within their organization through the provision of an out-of-region recovery solution that is highly scalable and powered by 100% renewable and fully redundant energy sources,” says Arne Norheim, country
    general manager of IBM, Norway.

Being underground will help with temperature regulation. The mine is a constant 8ºC year round, no matter what is happening above ground. The mine’s location at the edge of a fjord means water can be piped through to provide natural cooling.

The water in the fjord is a frosty 7.5ºC year round. The mine is partly below sea level, eliminating the need for expensive high-capacity pumps to move the seawater through the cooling system’s heat exchangers.

Lefdal will be supplied by 360MW of hydroelectric and wind power, provided initially by four hydroelectric power plants nearby. “The power plants can take a sea cable and run it straight into the mine without ever having the power production or the cabling above the ground,” explains Mats Andersson, chief marketing officer for Lefdal Mine Datacenter. This minimizes the possibility that the power supply will ever be affected by a natural disaster. In two years, Lefdal plans to build a transformer station inside the mine that will be directly fed
    by two hydropower plants in the mountain, further reducing costs, says Anderson.

“We are going to continue to build out for the next 10 years,” says Andersson. “IBM, with its history of building more than a thousand datacenters over the last 10 years, has been fundamental to establishing Lefdal,” he adds. “And IBM will be part of our offered resiliency services from day one.

https://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cg...d=BUC03044USEN

WHT-BR Top Member
    Data de Ingresso
    Dec 2010

WHT-BR Top Member
    Data de Ingresso
    Dec 2010

WHT-BR Top Member
    Data de Ingresso
    Dec 2010

data hall

Permissões de Postagem