Resultados 1 a 2 de 2
    WHT-BR Top Member
    Data de Ingresso
    Dec 2010

[WHT-US] New Threat to Shared Hosting: Control Panels for Cloud Servers

mbr:

Majority of our customers are using CMS software like WP, Joomla, etc..

They outnumber customers with "from scratch" websites (i.e., customers not using these popular CMS).

Now it will only be a matter of time till these CMS customers outgrow the limits of a traditional Cpanel host. And when they do they won't go for VPS or dedicated, they will go to specialized hosting.

What are specialized hosting? I believe there are 2 types that are a direct threat to shared hosting:

1. CMS-specific hosting, offering maintenance-free hosting of popular CMS (nothing new).

2. Control panel for cloud servers (the new kid on the block).

Users are now skipping shared hosting and are going straight to "cloud servers" (a.k.a VPS with APIs) through 3rd party control panel companies. Basically, these control panel companies give users the ability to run and manage a performance-tuned VPS instantly without command line knowledge on cloud platforms like DO, Linode, Vultr, AWS, GCP. It's like Cpanel for a single user VPS (from a really superior provider, I mean AWS, GCP, how can you compete?). Before, users don't go to VPS because it's a pain to manage even if it's relatively cheap . But now these new breed of control panels bridges the gap. I think this is a major threat to shared hosting.

Truth is, the price difference is little but the performance and reliability gain is huge between shared and control panel+cloud server. Now because majority of shared hosting customers are using CMS anyway, sooner or later they will find that shared hosting is inferior for their use case.

The race to bottom for traditional shared hosts will get even tougher in the coming years as these specialized hosting companies are gaining traction. The 3 key points solved by the new competition I believe is that it is painless, reliable, and scalable hosting. Now how do we, as shared hosts plan to keep up?

MikeDVB:

does that control panel include management for the server?

mbr:

Yes it does. The control panel is basically all the management you'll ever need. Now if you want to do something special in the server, you can't do it, same as the things you can't do with shared hosts. For it to work, you are confined with what the control panel offers, which is not a bad thing because your use case doesn't need anything special.

Guys, it's not like the control panel support will leave you in the water if there's truly a catastrophic server issue. I won't name them here but a quick Google will show the top guys even have chat support.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1665653

WHT-BR Top Member
    Data de Ingresso
    Dec 2010
    Os avestruzes do WHT-US, ou seria wishful thinking?, não compram esse tipo de alerta antecipado mas basta verificar os tais painéis e a ameaça não parece fantasia.

Sempre acho fascinante sites focados em VPS para entusiastas onde discute-se contratar serviços do Google, Microsoft, Rackspace, AWS porque é "complicado" instalar determinadas aplicações. Se os entusiastas não tem entusiasmo, o que dirá o usuário que tem mais o que fazer

Permissões de Postagem