Resultados 1 a 5 de 5
    WHT-BR Top Member
    Data de Ingresso
    Dec 2010

[EN] Bing: 33% of US searches

It turns out that "But nobody uses Bing!" isn't actually true

Peter Bright
    8/18/2017

We've known from Microsoft's financial reports that Bing has been growing. The search engine became profitable in the third calendar quarter of 2015, and Microsoft says it has continued to grow both the market share and revenue-per-search since then.

But how big is Bing? Via OnMSFT, Microsoft tweeted yesterday that it's "bigger than you think" and provided some numbers that will probably be a surprise to many. The company claims that fully one-third of searches in the US are powered by Bing, either directly or through Yahoo or AOL (both of which provide results generated by Microsoft). Other strong markets include Taiwan, at 24 or 26 percent, and the UK, at either 23 or 25 percent (depending on which tweet you read).

Globally, the company is claiming a 9-percent market share. Google is still the runaway winner, of course, but Microsoft's numbers (using data from comScore) suggest that in at least some parts of the world, Bing is big enough to take note of. The real target for this kind of data is, of course, advertisers; by showing that Bing is actually being used by large numbers of people, Microsoft hopes that it will become more appealing to those wanting to advertise alongside search results.

But more than that, perhaps these results will cut down on the typical reaction I get when I reveal that, yes, I use Bing. So why not go for the option that's more aesthetically pleasing? Every time I tell someone I use Bing, however, the reaction is swift and consistent, "Wait, you use Bing? Nobody uses Bing! Why would you use Bing?" The consistency of this response is... well, it's like I'm living in Groundhog Day.

Yet, I like the home page graphics and the news bar along the bottom, and I find that for the most part the results are no worse than Google's. If Microsoft's numbers are to be trusted, it turns out that I am not, in fact, alone in my use of Bing. And who knows—perhaps one day Bing will not just be bigger than we think, but big enough that it won't be the butt of everyone's jokes.

Did we mention Bing is bigger than you think?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...f-us-searches/

WHT-BR Top Member
    Data de Ingresso
    Dec 2010
    "I find that for the most part the results are no worse than Google's"

WHT-BR Top Member
    Data de Ingresso
    Dec 2010

China search engine market share in Apr 2017

China Search Engine Market 2013
    Última edição por 5ms; 18-08-2017 às 14:33.

WHT-BR Top Member
    Data de Ingresso
    Dec 2010

Chinese search engine Sogou set to kick off US IPO process

Sogou, China’s second largest mobile search engine, has taken the first step towards a possible initial public offering in the United States as it doubles down on artificial intelligence as a way to catch up with current market leader Baidu in the country’s search business.

Baidu was still the go-to app for China’s 647 million mobile search users in the second quarter of 2017 with 41% market share, followed by Sogou’s 21% and Shenma’s 18%

Meng Jing
    31 July, 2017

The Beijing-based company plans to submit a confidential draft registration statement to the US Securities and Exchange Commission for a possible IPO to launch as early as market conditions permit, according a statement released by the company’s parent Sohu.com on Monday.

The number and dollar amount of American depositary shares proposed to be offered and sold have not yet been determined, according to the Nasdaq-listed Sohu.com. But in an interview with Bloomberg in January, Sogou’s chief executive officer Wang Xiaochuan said the company was eyeing a US IPO this year with a valuation of as much as US$5 billion.

In an internal memo on Monday, Wang confirmed that Sogou, which is also backed by Chinese internet giant Tencent Holdings, is pushing the US IPO plan forward without giving a timetable.

“Search is a very competitive market and we have already achieved certain success in the current stage,” Wang said, adding that the company will keep investing in “artificial intelligence, big data and internet of things” to create “competitive edges and disruptive products”.

By leveraging AI technology, Sogou claims it is already able to help Chinese users search English-language content via its engine even if they cannot read or type in English. Users simply input their queries in Chinese and get English-language search results translated immediately into Chinese. The company claims the accuracy rate of translation is 90 per cent.

Wang said Sogou is the only company able to challenge and even reshape the search business landscape in China as its second quarter revenue jumped 20 per cent year on year to US$211 million, outpacing the entire industry.

Baidu is still the No 1 search engine operator in China, but its search business has been under siege by smaller players, such as Sogou, Qihoo 360 Technology and Alibaba Group-backed Shenma, especially after Baidu’s scandal over medical advertising last year.

Statistics from market research firm iiMedia showed that Baidu was still the go-to app for China’s 647 million mobile search users in the second quarter of 2017 with 41.2 per cent market share, followed by Sogou’s 20.9 per cent and Shenma’s 18.2 per cent. Alibaba owns the South China Morning Post.

http://www.scmp.com/tech/china-tech/...us-ipo-process

WHT-BR Top Member
    Data de Ingresso
    Dec 2010

Search engine IPO depends on Tencent for results

Alec Macfarlane
    August 02, 2017

Baidu rival Sogou is planning an initial public offering in the United States. But convincing investors to back a distant number two in China's mobile-search market could be tricky. Sogou's relationship with backer Tencent will be key.

On Monday, controlling shareholder Sohu said it wanted to float the unit. While it did not give any financial details, Sogou Chief Executive Wang Xiaochuan told Bloomberg earlier this year he expected a $4 to $5 billion valuation.

That looks like a stretch. To be sure, Sogou, or "search dog", is growing faster than Baidu. Second-quarter revenues of $211 million were up 20 percent on a year earlier. Comparable sales at Baidu rose 5.6 percent. But this is from a low base - Baidu's search revenues are more than ten times larger. And the dominance that Alphabet's <Google unit enjoys in Western search shows this is something close to a winner-takes-all market: the largest player typically enjoys a virtuous circle where more users means better data and more interest from advertisers.

Analysts at 86Research argue Sogou ought to be worth about 16 times next year's earnings, adjusting for its cash holdings, and then applying a haircut for its second place in the market. That translates to an equity value of about $2.7 billion.

Achieving more will require Sogou to play up its ties with Tencent, China's most valuable technology company. The latter bought a stake in 2013 and folded in its Soso search unit. Sogou says a big chunk of traffic now comes from Tencent platforms, including the phenomenally popular chat app WeChat, and search results now include public WeChat content. Mobile sales made up 76 percent of total search revenues in the second quarter, up from 49 percent last year, Wang told investors recently.

If Sogou can persuade investors WeChat will help deliver years of turbo-charged growth, that would be a great result.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/breaki...20170801-01982

Permissões de Postagem